What a Great Idea!

Thoughts on using problem solving and applied creativity techniques to promote social change. I'll be offering some of my own project ideas as well.

Name:
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States

I'm a sociologist who has done research, taught sociology, worked as a VISTA, and done lots of writing. My goal is to write nonfiction that will encourage people to look at the world in a different, but positive, way.

Monday, December 19, 2005

A Social Change Wiki

First, you should know that a wiki is a Web site that anyone can add to, delete from, or edit. The most famous wiki is probably Wikipedia, a free online encyclopedia. I was reminded of a wiki idea of my own today when I saw a reference to Wikipedia in a book. I think there may be interest in a wiki that focuses on one or more aspects of social change, assuming no such wiki already exists.

So what is in a social change wiki? My idea is for a wiki that focuses on using business innovation tools and strategies in social change efforts. The scope of the wiki could be expanded to cover education, economic development, sustainable development, and community organizing, and general nonprofit management.

What sorts of "business innovation tools and strategies" am I talking about? You may be familiar with term "lateral thinking" and you may even be familiar with some of the specific tools used in it. Many books on the subjects of creativity, brainstorming, problem solving, and innovation exist. The material in these books is certainly applicable to social change efforts and these applications, real or theoretical, would be covered.

Software for problem solving, decision making, and brainstorming also exists. The software is usually sold to business users but should also be valuable for nonprofits and informal groups focused on activism or economic development. There is also software for managing group brainstorming sessions. The social change applications, actual or theoretical, would be covered.

The idea is to get people to talk about how the tools and strategies can be/have been/are now used.

What I'd like to do is donate some of my time and knowledge to this effort. I need people with the technical skill and the marketing resources to help me make this wiki happen. I suspect this would have to be done as a hobby or as a nonprofit venture.

If you can help or know someone who can help contact me at chetdavis35@peoplepc.com with "social change wiki" in the subject line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home