What a Great Idea!

Thoughts on using problem solving and applied creativity techniques to promote social change. I'll be offering some of my own project ideas as well.

Name:
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States

I'm a sociologist who has done research, taught sociology, worked as a VISTA, and done lots of writing. My goal is to write nonfiction that will encourage people to look at the world in a different, but positive, way.

Thursday, December 08, 2005

Some Random Thoughts

Creative thinking can be helped along by comparing a challenge to a randomly selected word. This technique, sometimes called random input, is an old brainstorming trick. Here are a few related thoughts on challenges that I've been thinking about lately. Note the form of the statements I make. The "random" words jsut popped into my head. You could use a dictionary and just open to a random page.

How can a lizard help improve Washington D.C. public schools (buildings, plumbing heating/cooling)?

How can a vending machine help promote the faster adoption of a sustainable consciousness?

How can a vending machine help me capitalize on my knowledge of sociology?

How can a vending machine and a bus help combat homelessness in the DC area?

How can running help me promote my consulting business?

The technique is fairly simple. Just think about the attributes of lizards, vending machines, or whatever. List as many attributes, characteristics, or associations as you can. Take them one at a time and try to make some connection with the challenge at hand.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home