What a Great Idea!

Thoughts on using problem solving and applied creativity techniques to promote social change. I'll be offering some of my own project ideas as well.

Name:
Location: Alexandria, Virginia, United States

I'm a sociologist who has done research, taught sociology, worked as a VISTA, and done lots of writing. My goal is to write nonfiction that will encourage people to look at the world in a different, but positive, way.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Environmental Scanning Software

This is a potentially valuable product for social forecasting, technological forecasting, strategic planning, trend analysis, and perhaps for other applications. Perhaps it offers a new way to study the "cultural climate" in foreign countries or to track the "chatter" on hundreds of Arabic Web sites. Environmental scanning is the systematic search for information about an organization's social environment.

My environmental scanning software, call it EScanner for want of a better term, could be valuable to marketers, consultants, and some government agencies.

A Web interface walks the user through a series of questions about his or her organization. The questions would be a mixture of open-ended and closed-ended. The software would be able to interpret key phrases in the open-ended questions to produce search terms. The result would be a set of search instructions that are used to search the Internet(including Usenet, and whole Web sites - not jsut home pages). The results would be returned as links and descriptions.

Similar software already exists, but it tends to allow only one search at a time. This software would run 21 searches (7 dimensions times 3 characteristics) at one time and present the results in a relatively more-organized fashion.

There could be several options built in. Here are my ideas:

(1) This software has obvious uses in data mining of blogs, Usenet, and public Web sites.

(2) The software could also do more processing of the information, to present graphs and tables.

(3) EScanner sould support content analysis of the searched text, reporting themes and their categories.

(4) EScanner could also offer decision support by guiding users through a series of questions on the organization's social environment, complete with a report on the results of each questioning session and a set of recommendations.

I would love to find someone with the programming skills to help me develop the functionality of this software. I could handle the conceptual parts and the interface design (using a WYSIWYG editor). My PhD is in sociologyso I studied theory on the social environments of organizations. I could also write the user guide. I've also written functional requirements and managed an IT project.

Interested? Email me at chetdavis35@peoplepc.com with the subject line "Environmental Scanning Software" or call me at 703-832-2145 (and leave a message - it is my home answering machine).

Please contact me only if you are serious, and have either the money or the technical expertise to do the development work. We would share in the licensing fee and royalties. Note that I am only interested in developing this product for licensing, not as the core of a new business.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home